WASHINGTON — House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) on Wednesday insisted there’s no way to know who will benefit from the new $1.8 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund” President Donald Trump created by settling his own lawsuit with his own Justice Department.

The idea closely matches proposals to compensate those imprisoned for their roles in the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection and many rioters say they hope they will be eligible. And even after Vice President JD Vance and acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said Tuesday that Jan. 6 rioters would be eligible for payouts from the fund, Johnson acted as though there was no way to know.

“We don’t know any of the details of that settlement fund,” Johnson said.

“They are setting up a fund to compensate all Americans who have been subject to the target of lawfare or weaponization of the federal government,” Johnson said. “That’s not a partisan proposition, either. Everybody should support that. He did not say who will be eligible.”

Asked specifically by CNN’s Manu Raju if Jan. 6 rioters should be eligible for payouts, Johnson said he wouldn’t comment on that. Johnson previously told HuffPost he didn’t believe pardoned insurrectionists should receive compensation.

Thomas Smith, a Jan. 6 rioter whose nine-year prison sentence for assaulting police was cut short by Trump’s pardon, told HuffPost on Wednesday that he believes the new fund was set up with people like him in mind. He said he and a group of J6ers have been talking with attorneys about how to go about applying.

“We should all be taken care of, for sure,” Smith said. “We were told back in the beginning that what was happening to us was unjust, it was unconstitutional, and that we would be taken care of before this was all said and done.”

Smith is one of hundreds of Jan. 6 rioters who have already filed an administrative claim with the Justice Department seeking compensation for alleged mistreatment. The text of the new settlement agreement establishing the fund says the attorney general will set up a five-member commission to create a “systematic process” to hear and redress claims of mistreatment by the government under President Joe Biden.

“The fact of the matter is, the real weaponization happened to the citizens that actually went and stood up for ourselves on Jan. 6 and were attacked by police,” Smith said.

The agreement specifies that a “claimant who already has a claim pending in court or administrative proceedings may be eligible for relief,” an apparent reference to people in Smith’s position.

Smith said he was encouraged by the vice president’s remarks during a briefing at the White House on Tuesday. In response to questions from reporters, Vance specifically said the commission would consider claims by people who’d attacked police in January 2021.

“We have people accused of attacking law enforcement officers — that doesn’t mean that we’re going to completely ignore some of the claims they’re going to make,” Vance said. “If we think somebody was unfairly prosecuted and deserves just compensation, it’s going to correct a wrong.”

Johnson’s stance differs from that of his counterpart on the other side of the Capitol, Senate Majority Leader John Thune (R-S.D.), who said he is “not a big fan” of the settlement fund and that the administration must answer questions about it.

Retiring Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) pointed to comments reportedly made by former Justice Department official Ed Martin, one of the biggest supporters of Jan. 6 defendants in the Trump administration, who told a confidant that rioters would get millions, according to NBC News.

“Imagine that: a fund that is set up to compensate people who assaulted Capitol police officers and other responding agencies,” Tillis told reporters. “How absurd does that sound coming out of my mouth?”

By entering your email and clicking Sign Up, you're agreeing to let us send you customized marketing messages about us and our advertising partners. You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.