Press
Teenage boys sentenced for raping lone girls in Fordingbridge
Images
Three teenage boys who raped two lone girls in separate attacks have been sentenced. Prosecutors said the assaults in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, in 2024 and 2025, were "brazenly filmed" on mobile phones, with footage showing the boys laughing and verbally encouraging each other. Two 15-year-old boys and a boy, 14, were previously convicted of rape following a trial at Southampton Crown Court. The 15-year-olds were given three-year Youth Rehabilitation Orders with intensive surveillance and supervision. The younger boy's probation supervision will be for one and half years. Two of the boys' mothers burst into tears as Judge Nicholas Rowland told the attackers "none of you need to go to prison today". Explaining his sentence, the judge said: "I should avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily and understand the effects of their behaviour and support their reintegration into society." He added that "peer pressure played a large part in what went on". Warning: This story contains details some may find distressing The victim of the first attack was 15 when she was raped three times in an underpass by the River Avon in Fordingbridge, during what she had thought was a first date. She had travelled from her home to meet one of the boys for the first time after he had begun a "relationship" with her on social media platform Snapchat, but then two other boys appeared. During the trial the court heard she was "petrified", felt "cornered and trapped" and feared being thrown into the river. The boys shared video of the attacks on social media, resulting in her receiving abusive messages, prosecutors said. During the sentencing hearing, the girl read a poem directed towards her attackers which included the line: "All I want to do is die. I no longer have fear for when that comes." The second girl was 14 when she met the boys at Fordingbridge Recreation Ground, was threatened with a knife, then raped three times in a nearby field. No knife was found, but forensic evidence revealed her leggings had been cut with a "sharp instrument". Video footage seen in court during the trial showed her lying motionless on the ground with "her face buried in her hands", while another boy was heard shouting words of encouragement. In a statement read on her behalf immediately before sentencing, she described suffering nightmares and added: "I feel ashamed, insecure and uncomfortable in my own body." Two of the boys were 14 when they carried out the rapes and the third was 13. The attackers, who cannot be named because of their ages, were convicted of rape even in circumstances where they aided and abetted another boy to carry out the attack. One of the older boys was convicted of two counts of rape, which involved both victims. The other 15-year-old boy was found guilty of six counts of being involved in the rape of both girls and the 14-year-old boy was found guilty of two counts of rape in the second incident. Both 15-year-olds were also convicted of taking indecent photos of a child. The boys were also made subject to a three-month curfew and given a restraining order for 10 years not to contact their victims. The Crown Prosecution Service warned that rapes and sexual assaults involving young people were "on the increase". Speaking before sentencing, senior prosecutor Siobhan Blake said: "There is a real part for all of us to play as citizens to make sure that we have really clear conversations with our teens about misogynistic attitudes and push back really hard on those." The workshop has been left a charred shell after the fire on Sunday night. A fire swept through the industrial unit on Sunday night causing its roof to collapse. The bird was ringed in Dorset in the 1990s and has now been spotted in the New Forest. The girls were "significantly outnumbered" when they were attacked in Fordingbridge, the court heard. Martin Smith shares how a leg tattoo helped him overcome acid scars and rebuild his confidence.